Do you have a claim?

If you have suffered an injury, perhaps a road traffic accident, an accident at work or elsewhere, or if you have a work related disease, you may have a claim.

Generally to pursue a claim the injury must have occurred within the last three years. However, there are exceptions, for instance for children or where the consequences were not immediately apparent.

To help your claim for compensation, you should gather as much of the following information as possible:

  • Obtain the details of the other party, the potential defendant, including their address.
  • Photograph the scene of the accident if it is a public place, particularly any important features, for example defects.
  • Draw a sketch plan of the scene of the accident marking the accident spot and any direction of travel.
  • For a tripping accident, measure the height of the step and photograph it. Include another item to demonstrate scale, e.g. a ruler.
  • Obtain a copy of any accident report book.
  • Obtain a copy of the police report if it was a motor accident.
  • If you were assaulted, ensure that you have immediately reported the matter to the police and obtained a crime number.
  • Write down your own statement while it is still fresh in your mind.
  • Write down the names and address of any witnesses.
  • Give us details of any injury sustained, the treatment received and your current condition.
  • Provide details of your GP and any hospital attended. Photograph your injuries.


Further steps to take

  • Ask any witnesses to write down their version of events straightaway whilst the incident is still fresh in their minds.
  • Keep receipts for any expenditure resulting from injury, including all prescriptions. Record details of any mileage for travel by vehicle to the doctor, or hospital or elsewhere.
  • Keep a note of any loss of earnings and any state benefits received.
  • Keep a note of people caring for you, especially those taking time off work to do so.
  • Record the number of hours and days and if possible their pay rate.
  • Keep a note of any activities or work you are unable to do as a result of the injury.
  • Keep a note of your feelings and symptoms and how the injury progresses.



  • Gather together any motor, household and legal expenses insurance policies you have.
  • If you were the passenger in a motor accident ask the driver for a copy of his/her motor insurance policy, if possible. We will need to check the policies to see if you have the benefit of any legal expenses insurance cover.
  • Providing this information now will help us to progress your case as quickly as possible.


If you have any further questions or would like to book your free interview, please do not hesitate to call us on 01689 822554 or Freephone 0800 146340 or complete the enquiry form on this page.
Funding Your Legal Personal Injury Case

Start your claim now